Forging the Physique
Tuesday, February 01, 2005
 
***New month resolution: fitness***
Unlike my writing (see Way), I've been hitting the gym more or less regularly. Unfortunately, "hitting the gym" has amounted to average one a week. Not good: as one gets older, it takes more effort just to maintain one's body to its youthful level ("youthful" being relative. I can never have a fit twenty-year old body again.)

Fortunately, I have experience behind me, having successfully lost weight and reshaped my body a few years ago. I'm scheduling to increase cardio workouts to at least four times a week. Weights are more problematic: more planning has to go into them since I have to deal with crowds hoarding...er...using the weightroom. Current plan is to hit the gym during my lunch hour starting at least twice a week and, hopefully, move up to four or even five times a week.

Huh. Maybe I should start including one weekend day in my weight-training. I'm already including a cardio class.

Changing one's eating habits have been more difficult. I originally planned to basically have soup and salad for dinner with my day meals consisting primarily of soups and (healthy) fixings such as sandwiches. Not too successful in either technique. I have kept my weight down, though, making up in quantity (or lack of food) in the afternoon and evening even when consumed food is not too healthy (i.e., egg, cheese, and bacon bagel sandwich.)

Aid has come from some unlikely sources, though. Since our kitchen is being remodeled, I have no stove to cook with. And most of our bowls that I can use with our microwave are boxed away. Thus, I now look for healthy foods that can remain in the refridgerator (like salad) or packaged (like power bars.) And we have plenty of zero-cal "sugar" waters which I drink like a dehydrated man. Finally, I bought plenty of soups that can be quickly heated in the microwave and eaten from the can itself.

Finally, I have one more trick up my sleeve. (Well, I have several, but can't share them all at once, can I?) I read somewhere that consuming very hot and very cold food items can temporary sate one's appetite. I've tried it and it has worked: I have drunk a hot cup of (decaf) coffee many times at work while hungry and felt full. Later, I'd follow up with a long drink of the very cold water from the drinking fountain. While neither surpresses my hunger-induced headache (when one's hungry, the body tells you!), I can deal with that (usually with some trailmix).

Goal by year's end: reduce waist size to 36 or less, reduce fat percentage to 10% or less, and bigger and stronger upper body. (Pecs would be nice.)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger