Forging the Physique
Monday, July 12, 2004
 
Direction

Because it's been a while, I feel I'm starting over again in my weight training. But I have done training in the past and know enough to determine what direction I wish to go with it. (I'm classed as "intermediate" experienced.) Specifically, what is the purpose of weight-training to me.

Appearance or utilitarian
Do I want to lift weights primarily for looks (appearance) or health/strength reasons (utilitarian)? While there's some overlap (e.g., pull ups for back), both goals require different techniques, weight used, reps, and sets. High intensity push ups and chest press exercises really don't make sense for the latter, especially if one's job is primarily sitting in a chair.

Diet plays a far bigger role when working out for appearance versus utility.

Size or tone
Closely associated with the above question is whether I want to focus on large muscle growth or more "cut" muscles. The former requires heavier weight, low sets and reps, and longer rest periods between sets. The latter requires low weights, high reps, greater sets with little rest. I've always found the former far easier than the latter.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger